Friday, March 23, 2007

Memories of Days Like These




There is snow once again, and Sophia is happy to venture out in it. Just last night, while I was planning to do so anyway, she asked if we could "Go side". It is a pleasure to know that she is enjoying being outside again, after all of the horrible, cold, windy days of February and early March.

It was starting to look a little odd outside, too. What, with the ice and snow disappearing down to the dirt and gravel of the roads that surround our house - but with the bitterly cold wind persisting - I felt as if something was just out of place. The snow has brought our temperatures up to the 20s and 30s, and has provided a new base on which we can pull Sophia's sled through the neighborhood - while she scoops up the snow and piles in on her lap, forming a mountain of powder to delight in.

With the turn of the weather, I can't help but think about Sophia's first weeks home after her birth. On those days where she seemed inconsolable, I could always trust that a jaunt out in the fresh air would calm her down. Whether it was the crunch-crunch-crunching of the snow beneath my boots as we ventured about, her in the front carrier, or the cool air on our breath, it always seemed to do the trick. It's hard to imagine that my once tiny babe is now big enough to climb out of her sled when our walk is over.

I started reading a book yesterday that my sister-in-law gave me for Christmas called Stepping Heavenward, by Elizabeth Prentiss. I came across some words that made me think of my little girl:

Where does all the love come from?
If I had had her always I do not see how I could be more fond of her.
And do people call it living who never had any children?


Above all else, I am excited for the time when I will get to spend each day at home with her. Being away, though, gives me a chance to think about her and everything that makes her unique... On more than one occasion, especially lately, I've wondered if, when I'm with her all the time, I'll still have those chances to think about her as much as I do when I'm away. I've wondered if I'll have reasons to write about her as much as I do now. I can only hope that I will.

7 Comments:

Blogger coolskool mom said...

I can't imagine what living is without my children...I have had them for so long, I can scarecly remember my life before them. Even being home with them all the time I still look at them with awe and wonder every single day. You will have more to write about and more to ponder. I can't wait for that day.

March 23, 2007 3:02 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Ditto CSM. What a sweet little angel face.

March 23, 2007 3:53 PM  
Blogger Belle Etoile said...

Thanks for the encouragement CS. I can't wait either.

March 23, 2007 4:24 PM  
Blogger auntibeck said...

My prayer is that each of you have the security you need to be able to do just that, stay home and raise those little ones--always.

March 23, 2007 5:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I feel the same way about the snow today. It's March and I should be bummed by the snow, but somehow it's okay today. The world is right... okay, maybe not "the world" but my little one with Aaron in this apartment and the snow softly coming down outside is just fine with me. I am thankful for peace of Christ which surpasses all comprehension. And not in a trite kind of way.

March 24, 2007 12:48 PM  
Blogger crystal said...

There's something about those snows that come late in the season that is special. It's like a reminder that as much as we may want summer to come, God is in control and He reminds us to take a step back and wait on Him a while longer. There's something very peaceful about it.

March 24, 2007 8:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love to read your writings. Some day I'll print them up and put them in a book. You are such a good mom. Love you--Mom

March 25, 2007 3:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home